As we approach the spring holidays, we at Salty Paws Veterinary Hospital want our owners to be aware of some hazards that can affect their pets.
Chocolate– There is a wide variety of chocolate and cocoa products to which pets may be exposed including candy, brownies and cocoa bean mulches. We see an increased occurrence around holidays, especially Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween, and Christmas. The agents in the chocolate that cause problems are theobromine and caffeine. Different types of chocolate have different amounts of these chemicals . The signs of problems can occur within 6-12 hours of ingestion. Theses clinical signs include drinking more, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and increased heart rate. Please call us at Salty Paws Veterinary Hospital to help determine if the amount and type of chocolate your pet might have ingested is a concern.
Xylitol- This toxin is an artificial sweetener found in many different products including candy, gum (Dentyne Ice, Trident and Orbit etc). This toxin can cause a drop in blood sugar as soon as 10-15 minutes after ingestion. the toxin can also affect the liver, so blood work is needed to determine if liver damage has occurred.
Lilies (Easter or Peace)- With Easter and spring around the corner, Easter lilies are being sold everywhere. Lilies are especially toxic to cats. Cats can ingest any part of the plant, and this toxin can cause kidney failure, so early treatment is needed.
Easter grass or Ribbons- These long strings are enticing for cats, but if ingested, ribbons or cellophane Easter grass can be lodged in the stomach and intestines causing an obstruction or damage to the intestines.
The best way to prevent problems with these 4 holiday hazards is to keep them away from your pets, but accidents happen. If you suspect your pet has been exposed to these toxins, please call us for assistance at 223-1900.
The ASPCA Poison Control Center # 1-888-426-4435